As a hair extension technician, it is very important that you provide every client with a consultation form. A consultation form will help you to understand the individual needs of your clients, as well as flagging up any potential problems that you need to be aware of before the fitting, putting your client needs and requirement’s first at all times.
Why Do I Need A Consultation Form For A Hair Extension Fitting?
There are a number of different reasons why you need a consultation form for each of your clients.
Firstly, having a consultation form will help you to keep track of all of your clients. It is a place where your clients name, address and contact details are stored so that in the event you need to contact them you will know exactly where to find the information. It will also help you if a client contacts you a year or so after their original fitting for a another, as you will already have lots of information for them.
Secondly and most importantly, a consultation form is an opportunity to ask some more in depth questions without your client feeling uncomfortable, to help you establish and ensure they are suitable for a hair extensions fitting. For example, your consultation form may ask questions such as “have you experienced any problems with hair extensions in the past”, or ”do you have any allergies”. By taking down all of this information, you can be sure that your client is suitable for a fitting.
What Should I Include In A Hair Extension Consultation Form?
Each consultation form will be different for every hair extension fitter, however there are a number of different points that should be included to ensure you are getting the most out of your consultation time.
Here we have put together an example of questions to put on your consultation form to take as much information about your client as possible. We would advise you to create your own consultation form using this information as a template, including any additional information you may require or have been advised to ask during your training. Each consultation form between hair extensionists will be personal to you and your business, and this is simply to give you a starting point to work from.
Example Questions For Hair Extension Consultation Form
- Contact Number
- Email Address
- How did you hear about us? Google, yahoo, bing, family, friend, yelp, other
- Have you had hair extensions before?
- If yes, which method have you had fitted before? Micro ring, prebonded, weave, clip in or other
- Have you ever suffered from hair loss?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with alopecia?
- Are you currently taking any medication that causes hair loss, thinning, or excessive growth?
- Have you been pregnant in the last 6 months?
- Do you suffer from psoriasis of the scalp?
- Do you suffer from eczema on the scalp?
- Would you consider yourself to have a sensitive scalp?
- Do you have any known allergies?
- How would you describe the condition of your hair? Very healthy, healthy, average, not very healthy, damaged
- How would you describe the texture of your hair? Straight, wavy, curly, frizzy
- Has your hair ever been damaged through excessive hair dying?
- Do you currently have, or have you been exposed to head lice?
- How would you describe the thickness of your hair? Thick, average, thin
- How often do you wash your hair? Every day, 3 times a week, once a week, other
- Do you currently colour your hair?
- If yes, how often do you dye your hair?
- Do you frequently swim or go to the gym?
- Do you have any holidays booked?
- What are you looking to achieve with hair extensions? Volume, length, colour, volume & length, length & colour, volume & colour, volume length & colour.
- Do you have any questions or concerns regarding the fitting, maintenance or removal of the hair extensions?
As well as this information you might wish to add a section that the client will need to sign and date acknowledging that the details they provide are accurate as of the date the consultation takes place, and that they are satisfied they have had the opportunity to raise any concerns with you regarding the hair extension fitting and received a satisfactory answer from you.
You may also wish to include information regarding the importance of maintenance appointments every 4-6 weeks and that your client is aware of this commitment, as well as acknowledgment that your client will require the removal of her hair extensions within 3-4 months, and this should only be performed by a trained professional.
This information means you are reducing the likelihood of an unhappy customer and therefore the need to deal with complaints.
Keep Your Client Consultation Forms Safe
It is very important that once you have acquired this information you store it in a safe place. You may need to refer back to it at some point, therefore setting up a filing system will help you to stay organised as your client base grows.
Don’t Miss Or Forget To Ask Your Client To Complete A Hair Extension Consultation Form
It may not seem important now, but a consultation is key to determining the suitability of each of your clients, and not only offers them protection, but also helps you in the event of a negative situation. If, for example, your client was pregnant during the fitting, however had not disclosed this or made you aware, and then encountered complications with her hair extensions potentially due to the pregnancy such as hair thinning, this will help to cover you as you will be able to explain that had you been aware of these circumstances you may have not been able to perform the fitting, but as this was not disclosed to you, you cannot be held responsible for this.
Be Prepared During A Hair Extension Consultation
Finally, now that you have created your very own consultation form, we would recommend printing off enough so that you are never caught short before a fitting. Keep them in a nice neat file so that they do not become crumpled in your case, and remember to ask every client to complete one before you start the fitting.
SimplyHair Trade Account
As you a new mobile hair extension business? Are you thinking of introducing hair extension services into your salon? At SimplyHair not only do we offer very competitive pricing, we also offer an exclusive trade discount to our professional customers.
A trade account is quick and easy to set up, simply click on the image below to submit your application and we will aim to have your account activated within 1 working day.